Tuesday, November 17, 2009

::Holiday Spice Pancakes::

When I was a kid, my dad always made the best breakfasts. One that I remember in particular is our Christmas morning pancakes. He made everything from scratch, and in his pancakes he always added blue cornmeal. They were heavenly! But on Christmas, he would stir in some food coloring, and use cookie cutters to make holiday-shaped pancakes for us kids. I remember feeling so special that he would take the time to make those for us. ~SO~ I am passing that tradition down to my own children. I make mine a little different than he did {I don't have blue cornmeal!}, and the details of how he used the cookie cutters are fuzzy so I came up with my own version of my childhood memory. I hope you enjoy it as much as Madi and I did this morning!

2 cups Bisquick
2 eggs
1 1/2 c milk {be sure to watch your batter, it needs to be about the consistency of stage 3 baby food. :0) ~OR~ the consistency of lumpy chocolate syrup... basically more runny than not!}
1 tsp cinnamon/sugar mix {give or take}
1/2 tsp cloves {give or take}
1/4 tsp nutmeg {give or take}
Red and green food coloring
Metal cookie cutters with rubber tops ~ the bigger the better!

Ok, mix first 6 ingredients and divide in half. Add to one half 5+ drops red food coloring {I used 10 to get it as red as I wanted it}, and to the other 5+ of green {I used 9}. Grease cookie cutters with Pam BEFORE EVERY PANCAKE!!! IT'S REALLY A PAIN IF YOU DON'T!!!! Put cookie cutters on griddle and carefully pour batter in. Pour it in slowly to make sure all nooks and crannies of the cutter get batter in them, but be careful to not over-fill. There should only be about 1/4 inch of batter in there, if that! Let cook until edges look dry and top has lots of bubbles, the slowly pull cutter off and carefully flip. *You will probably end up with a lot of silly looking pancakes at first. Just take your time, tear off the mistakes and try again!*

I used a gingerbread man and a christmas tree, but you can use yellow food coloring and do a star, no food coloring and make snowmen, blue {etc.} for presents... and that's just for Christmas! Try pink and red hearts for V-day, green shamrocks for St. Patty's, orange pumpkins for Halloween... go crazy and have fun! :0)

2 comments:

  1. Very fun Tiff! The girls would go crazy if I made those. I guess I'll have to search the couches and find some extra money and put those on my list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's definately worth the hassle to make them! I found those cutters at Wally-World for $3 each. They had a snowman that was big too, and some other smaller ones. I wish they had a big star, that would have been pretty cool. Manybe in the future I will find one! :0)

    ReplyDelete