Friday, October 23, 2009

::{Broccoli and Cheese Soup AND Quick Rolls}::

::{BROCCOLI AND CHEESE SOUP}::

The pictures really don't do this soup justice! It was fabulous and I have to put in a disclaimer: Get a small bowl the first time around so you won't feel like such a pig when you load up your second bowl! Even CLINT had seconds on this {and those of you who have ever eaten with him know that he is A: a picky eater and B: eats like a bird so I was very impressed!} :0)

4 c water
2 c diced potatoes
20 oz frozen chopped broccoli {or thereabouts}
3 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 c diced onion {again, I prefer the taste and convenience of dried minced onions. I used about 1 1/2 Tbs}
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 lb cubed Velveeta cheese
Ok, mix first 5 ingredients together and simmer for about 30 minutes or until broccoli is tender. Stir often. Add cream of chicken soup and Velveeta and simmer for another 15 minutes. Keep stirring often to prevent scalding. If you want to {I didn't} you can add a head of chopped cauliflower. If the soup ends up too thick, add another cup of water and one more bouillon cube.
::{QUICK ROLLS}::
3 1/4 - 3 3/4 c flour
1 pkg quick rise yeast
1 c milk
1/4 c sugar
1/3 c butter
3/4 tsp salt
1 beaten egg
Ok, stir together 1 1/4 c flour and the yeast. In a small sauce pan, heat and stir milk, sugar, butter and salt until WARM and butter just starts to melt. Add to flour mixture along with egg. Beat with mixer on low for 30 sec, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high 3 min. Add remaining flour, and only mix until combined.
Turn dough onto floured surface and knead into a smooth, elastic dough {a few minutes, be careful not to over-knead!}. Divide dough in half, cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease pan{s}. You can put them in a glass dish for traditional rolls, but I prefer to make Cloverleaf Rolls.
For traditional rolls, divide dough into 20 - 24 balls, pulling edges under to make a smooth top and place in prepared pan.
For Cloverleafs, divide dough into 36 balls, pulling the edges under to make a smooth top and place 3 per greased muffin cup. {Obviously you will be using a muffin pan} :0)
Cover and let rise until double in size, about 30 minutes. I like to let mine rise on top of the stove cuz it's nice and warm.
Bake for 15 - 18 minutes or until rolls sound hollow when lightly tapped. Cool on wire rack.
::If you want a glossy, crisp top crust, brush with milk or a beaten egg before baking. If you want a soft, shiny crust, brush the baked rolls with butter when you take them out of the oven::
Tiffany

3 comments:

  1. These Rolls look SO good! I have been looking for a good roll recipe and HAVE to try these! And of course all your other recipes are one's that we will be having real soon! I love having this blog, so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love broccoli soup and I have never made my own rolls, so I will have to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies! I was SO afraid of baking my own bread and so last year I made it a goal to be comfortable doing it... I'm not afraid of making rolls now but bread still scares me! *sigh* maybe next year! :0)

    ReplyDelete